We started as an Ayurvedic Patasala during the reign of Sree Moolam Thirunal, at East Fort, Thiruvananthapuram. This later became the Government Ayurveda College. Earlier only 15 students were given training. In 1910 the college began to impart a five-year regular course and those who completed the first four years were awarded L.M.C (Lower Medical Certificate) and those who completed all the five years were given Higher Medical Certificate.
From 1917 onwards the degree course was titled "Vaidyakalanidhi". Later the college opened an outpatient counter and pharmacy both of which provided service to the public. The college in 1929 introduced a research degree named 'Ayurvedacharya'.
In 1962 the integrated course was terminated and pure degree and diploma courses in Ayurveda were implemented. These were also stopped in 1969 and subsequently in 1971-72 post graduation courses were started.
The field of Ayurveda has witnessed tremendous metamorphosis over the ages.
As long as we are not living in harmony with nature and our constitution, we cannot expect ourselves to be really healed. Ayurveda gives us the means
When diet is wrong medicine is of no use. When diet is correct medicine is of no need